Good news: your resume has made it past the screening stage, and you have been called in for an interview! While that alone is reason to celebrate, the next hurdle is to win over hiring managers in person. Interviews can be stressful; you must strike a balance between showcasing your strengths while appearing humble. In the article below, we will share with you some ways to win over recruiters, hiring managers, and potential employers with interview tips.
Prepare an Impressive Introduction
Properly preparing for an interview gives you time to craft the perfect introduction. This is a great opportunity to showcase your strengths without going over the top. It has become a common practice for interviewers to start off the interview by asking the application to introduce themselves. A good introduction should consist of:
- Background: Recent graduates may want to start off with their higher education experience. More seasoned applicants can share a little about their work experience.
- Credentials: Mention any certifications or qualifications you have, especially as they relate to your field. In addition, feel free to mention additional credentials that might not seem directly related, as they could come in handy down the road.
- Experience: Connect your experience to the company’s goals and the position they are looking to fill.
- Skills: Instead of running down a laundry list of your skills, relate them to the company and/or the position. This will show why you are a good fit.
- Leadership and Communication Style: Before your interview, brush up on the company’s values in terms of leadership and communication. Explain why your style makes you an ideal candidate for the position.
Use Anecdotes to Showcase Your Strengths
Questions starting with, “Describe a time where you…” are becoming increasingly common in job interviews. Prepare for them by choosing a few of your qualities such as leadership, creativity, communication, and the ability to think on your feet. Then think about times when you have demonstrated these qualities in professional settings.
Whether in school or at work, we have all encountered situations that required us to think quickly or demonstrate certain skills. While stories about how projects went well are nice, most employers will be more impressed by steps you took to resolve challenges you met along the way.
Work with Professionals at USA Resume
The first step towards landing a job interview is to ensure that your resume makes it past the initial screening stage. While you may be qualified for a certain job, not having a quality resume could lead a missed opportunity. USA Resume has a successful track record of satisfied clients. We are more than happy to work with job applicants to build strong resumes that will showcase their best talents and land them an interview.